11TH ANNUAL VIC HERSHKOWITZ DOUBLES HANDBALL TOURNAMENT
JANUARY 25-27, 2019
A Message from Jen Tartaglia-Hershkowitz
Welcome to the 11th Annual Vic Hershkowitz Foundation Doubles Handball Event. The David Posnack JCC is once again hosting this charity event for the benefit of special needs children and young adults in memory of Vic Hershkowitz. Your generous donations last year provided funding for children to attend camp at the DPJCC this past summer. The JCC special needs camp has over 140 children, and we greatly appreciate your continued contributions, which provide summer program scholarships.
This year we will welcome Joe Durso and Freddy Koran into the Vic Hershkowitz Hall of Fame. Joe has won 16 national one-wall titles, 9 singles and 7 doubles. In 2002, he made it to the national semis at the age of 47. In 2012, Joe Durso was inducted into the USHA Hall of Fame.
Freddy Koran was one of the most colorful personalities at Flamingo Park. In 1964, Freddy was the first winner of the Bob Haas Memorial Tournament at Flamingo. He also won the Southeastern Regional Championships in 1961 teaming with Bob Haas.
The Ken Ginty Award will be presented to Don Duarte. Don played on the pro circuit in his early career. He was Ken’s opponent many times. In 1986, Don and Kelly Russell won the World Doubles championships as well as numerous national doubles titles teaming with Mike Kelly and Don Chamberlin. Don’s biggest thrill was starting out carrying his dad in tournaments and now having his son, Ryan, carry him.
By donating to the Vic Hershkowitz Foundation Fund, your name will be permanently inscribed on the beautiful 2019 plaque and displayed on Vic’s Wall of Fame across from the handball courts at the JCC . Many thanks for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you at the 2019 three-day handball extravaganza!
Please contact 954.434.0499, ext. 105 or 120 for more information.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
CLICK HERE TO PRINT THE BROCHURE
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 21, 2019
Participation will be limited to the first 100 entries!
Doubles Divisions (Select 2 Maximum)
- Vic's A
- Barry's B
- Ages 40-49
- Ages 50-59
- Ages 60-64
- "Frenchy" Fortier - Ages 65-69
- Gerry Donnelly - Ages 70-74
- Murray Marcus - Ages 75-79
- Ages 80-89
- Consolation Round (for losers of 1st round match)
Entrance fee includes breakfasts, lunches, Saturday night buffet, snacks, bag, & awards!
- 1st Division - $70
- 2nd Division - $10
- 1st Division - $80
- 2nd Division - $10
College Students with Valid Student ID
- 1st Division - $40
- 2nd Division - $5
- Includes breakfasts, lunches, snacks and Saturday night buffet
Start Time & Rules
- Call Lenny Tieman at 954-395-6975
- Play may start on Friday, January 25, 2019 at Noon.
- USHA rules apply.
- RED 21 balls will be used.
- Eye guards must be worn.
- The tournament director reserves the right to reclassify or deny entry to any participant or set round robin format.
- Divisions will NOT be combined
- Runner-up referees the next match on the same court.
- Friday & Saturday lunch
- Saturday night buffet at Beef 'O' Brady's
- Daily breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks provided throughout the weekend
- "The Vic" tournament bag
- Handball tips from Fred Lewis - Fill your head with handball knowledge and tips of the game from Fred Lewis, six-time national champion.
- Meet & talk with the best that have ever played our game: Hall of Famers, national handball champions and world champions.
- Awards for 1st and 2nd place
- Consolation round for 1st place only
- Three special awards:
- Inductees into the Vic Hershkowitz Hall of Fame
- MVP for the tournament, selected by the committee
- Ken Ginty Award
Quality Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport Cruise Port South
2520 Stirling Road, Hollywood, FL 33020
Phone: 954-922-1600, ext. 152 / Fax: 954-921-6374
Mention the Vic Hershkowitz Handball Tournament to get the king bed rate of $189 or double bed rate of $199.
(Breakfast buffet included)
Call for reservations: Monday–Friday 9:00 am-5:30 pm.
This rate is only available until 1/11/19.