9TH ANNUAL VIC HERSHKOWITZ DOUBLES HANDBALL TOURNAMENT
JANUARY 27-29, 2017
A Message from Jen Tartaglia-Hershkowitz
Welcome to the 9th Annual Vic Hershkowitz Foundation Doubles Handball Event. The David Posnack JCC is once again hosting this charity event for the benefit of special needs children and young adults in memory of Vic Hershkowitz. Your generous donations last year provided funding for children to attend camp at the DPJCC this past summer. The JCC special needs camp has over 140 children, and we greatly appreciate your continued contributions, which provide summer program scholarships.
This year we will welcome Ken Davidoff, Billy Haas and Bobby Haas into the Vic Hershkowitz Hall of Fame. Kenny, according to Fred Lewis, “was absolutely the greatest one-wall singles player I have ever seen.” He holds three national one-wall singles and two doubles titles and is a member of the USHA Hall of Fame.
Billy and Bobby Haas were fixtures at Flamingo Park in the late 1950s and ‘60s. Billy teamed with Fred Lewis to win the Canadian National open doubles title in 1970, as well as, numerous Florida doubles championships. Murray Marcus teamed with Billy to win a national masters title. Bobby was a nationally-ranked top eight player twice in his career and was the best player in Florida in the late 1950s and ‘60s. He was also a highly decorated agent for the FBI.
The Ken Ginty Award will be presented to Geoff Hunter. We all know Geoff as the owner of the Naples Fitness Club from 1997 until it closed in 2011. Geoff is a distinguished member of the handball community, having run the annual Naples January tournament for 12 years; plus being an accomplished player, winning numerous state handball titles and a national racquetball crown. Geoff is also a regular participant in the Vic tournament.
By donating to the Vic Hershkowitz Foundation Fund your name will be permanently inscribed on the beautiful 2017 plaque and displayed on Vic’s Wall of Fame at the JCC across from the handball courts. Many thanks for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you at the 2017 three-day handball extravaganza!
Online registration has closed. Please contact 954.434.0499, ext. 120 for more information.
CLICK HERE TO PRINT THE BROCHURE
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: January 23, 2017
Participation will be limited to the first 100 entries!
Doubles Divisions (Select 2 Maximum)
- Vic's A
- Barry's B
- Ages 40-49
- Ages 50-59
- Ages 60-64
- "Frenchy" Fortier - Ages 65-69
- Ages 70-74
- Murray Marcus - Ages 75-79
- Ages 80-89
- Consolation Round (for losers of 1st round match)
Entrance fee includes breakfasts, lunches, Saturday night buffet, snacks, T-shirt & awards!
- 1st Division - $70
- 2nd Division - $10
- 1st Division - $80
- 2nd Division - $10
College Students with Valid Student ID
- 1st Division - $40
- 2nd Division - $5
- Includes breakfasts, lunches, snacks and Saturday night buffet
Start Time & Rules
- Call Lenny Tieman at 954-275-2329
- Play may start on Friday, January 27, 2017 at Noon.
- USHA rules apply.
- RED 21 balls will be used.
- Eye guards must be worn.
- The tournament director reserves the right to reclassify or deny entry to any participant or set round robin format.
- Divisions will NOT be combined
- Runner-up referees the next match on the same court.
- Friday & Saturday lunch
- Saturday night buffet at Beef 'O' Brady's
- Daily breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks provided throughout the weekend
- "The Vic" tournament shirt
- Handball tips from Fred Lewis - Fill your head with handball knowledge and tips of the game from Fred Lewis, six-time national champion.
- Meet & talk with the best that have ever played our game: Hall of Famers, national handball champions and world champions.
- Awards for 1st and 2nd place
- Consolation round for 1st place only
- Three special awards:
- Inductees into the Vic Hershkowitz Hall of Fame
- MVP for the tournament, selected by the committee
- Ken Ginty Award
- Vic Hershkowitz prizes for all entrants
5700 Reese Road • Davie, FL 33314
(behind Costco/east side of University Drive, off of State Road 84)
Phone: 754.600.3366 • Fax: 754.600.3365
Mention Vic Handball Tournament to get single rate of $79.99 or double rate of $89.99.
Must book 14 days prior to tournament to guarantee rate.