VIC HERSHKOWITZ DOUBLES HANDBALL TOURNAMENT
A Message from Jen Tartaglia-Hershkowitz
Welcome to the Vic Hershkowitz Foundation Doubles Handball event. The David Posnack JCC is once again hosting this charity event for the benefit of special needs children and young adults in memory of Vic Hershkowitz. Your generous donations last year provided funding for children to attend camp at the DPJCC this past summer. The JCC special needs camp has over 140 children, and we greatly appreciate your continued contributions, which provide summer program scholarships.
This year we will welcome Harold Hanft and Teddy Bystock into the Vic Hershkowitz Hall of Fame. In the mid 1950s, Harold won the open AAU one-wall singles title two years in a row. Then, playing with Teddy, won a 50+ four-wall title, plus three 50+ three-wall championships partnering with Vic Hershkowitz.
Teddy Bystock holds five doubles titles, one playing with Harold Hanft and four 60+ titles with Jack Weitz.
The Ken Ginty Award will be presented to Will Arsenault. In 1979 Ken moved to Daytona Beach to work for Will. The following year they teamed up and won the Florida State four-wall, the Southeast four-wall and the AAU state four-wall titles in 1980, ‘82, and ‘84. In 1984 and ‘85, they won the Bob Haas Memorial Tournaments. Following hip replacement surgery, Will started a juniors handball clinic that included his son, Brett, and daughter, Cara, who went on to win numerous individual titles.
By donating to the Vic Hershkowitz Foundation Fund, your name will be permanently inscribed on the beautiful 2020 plaque and displayed on Vic’s Wall of Fame across from the handball courts at the JCC . Many thanks for your continued support, and we look forward to seeing you at the 2020 three-day handball extravaganza!
Please contact 954.434.0499, ext. 319 or 120 for more information.
Doubles Divisions (Select 2 Maximum)
- Vic's A
- Barry's B
- Ages 40-49
- Ages 50-59
- Ages 60-64
- "Frenchy" Fortier - Ages 65-69
- Gerry Donnelly - Ages 70-74
- Murray Marcus - Ages 75-79
- Ages 80-89
- Consolation Round (for losers of 1st round match)
Entrance fee includes breakfasts, lunches, Saturday night buffet, snacks, bag, & awards!
- 1st Division - $70
- 2nd Division - $10
- 1st Division - $80
- 2nd Division - $10
College Students with Valid Student ID
- 1st Division - $40
- 2nd Division - $5
- Includes breakfasts, lunches, snacks and Saturday night buffet
Start Time & Rules
- Call Lenny Tieman at 954-395-6975
- Play may start on Friday, January 24, 2020 at Noon.
- USHA rules apply.
- RED 21 balls will be used.
- Eye guards must be worn.
- The tournament director reserves the right to reclassify or deny entry to any participant or set round robin format.
- Divisions will NOT be combined
- Runner-up referees the next match on the same court.
- Friday & Saturday lunch
- Saturday night buffet at Beef 'O' Brady's
- Daily breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks provided throughout the weekend
- "The Vic" tournament bag
- Handball tips from Fred Lewis - Fill your head with handball knowledge and tips of the game from Fred Lewis, six-time national champion.
- Meet & talk with the best that have ever played our game: Hall of Famers, national handball champions and world champions.
- Awards for 1st and 2nd place
- Consolation round for 1st place only
- Three special awards:
- Inductees into the Vic Hershkowitz Hall of Fame
- MVP for the tournament, selected by the committee
- Ken Ginty Award