Giborim Adult Program (G.A.P.)
Develop Employment Skills and Learning Opportunities
The David Posnack JCC has provided, for over 30 years, programs for children and adults with developmental disabilities beginning with our summer camp, Camp Giborim. Later came Giborim U to offer enrichment classes throughout the school year and then GibConnect, a virtual program developed during the pandemic.
Still recognizing additional needs in the community, the DPJCC is working on a new program, Giborim Adult Programs or G.A.P., to assist adults with employability skills, provide social, recreational and wellness opportunities and create relationships. For ages 20 years and up, G.A.P. will go from August through June, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.
If you would like additional information, please click here to view a Zoom call held with other interested parents and guardians.To see our brochure, click here.
If you have additional questions, contact Anna Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org or 954-434-0499, ext. 206.
The mission of the Giborim Adult Program (G.A.P.) is to provide adults with developmental disabilities a unique experience that offers employment skills, learning and enrichment opportunities, which are individualized to meet the goals and needs of each participant, nurture their strengths, and facilitate meaningful activities which promote peer interactions and engage with community partners.
Even More Content
G.A.P. will be located on the campus of the David Posnack Jewish Community Center (DPJCC) in Davie, Florida. We will have individuals ages 20+ with developmental disabilities. G.A.P. dates are from August through June following the Broward County Public Schools and the DPJCC Jewish Holiday Calendars.
The hours are 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Participants will have busy daily schedules that include life skills, work-based learning, fitness opportunities, social experiences, recreational classes, and community outings.
l All G.A.P. program participants will get an annual DPJCC family membership*, which is included in the tuition.
l Optional lunch can be ordered from Sterling Kosher Catering.
l Staff and participants will have access to a team of professional advisors who are experts in their field.
l Participants may register for Giborim U afternoon enrichment classes and/or enroll to attend the Posnack Foundation Summer Camp Giborim. (for an additional fee).
* The membership includes the use of our sports, fitness and recreational facilities. You can enjoy any of our amenities including a state-of-the-art fitness center, aquatics, basketball, tennis, racquetball/handball, dance, yoga, indoor running/walking track, personal and group training and so much more.
G.A.P. is for adults 20+ with developmental disabilities. Participants should be able to engage independently and behaviorally in an adult to staff ratio of 4 to 1. Adults must be independent with self-care restroom needs.
- Create lifelong skills and relationships
- Enhance individual strengths
- Develop employability skills
- Provide social and recreational opportunities
- Build a healthy lifestyle
- Participate in fitness and wellness programs
- Engage with community partners
The DPJCC is recognized nationally for excellence in serving individuals with developmental disabilities by offering various programs benefitting the special needs community. The Posnack Foundation Camp Giborim has provided an outstanding recreational summer program for children, teens, and adults for the past 31 years. In 2017, the award-winning Giborim U enrichment program was launched to offer courses in fitness, the arts, sports, recreation, life skills and health and wellness. Next, The GIB Shop was created in 2019 as a mobile gift shop with extraordinary goods sold by extraordinary people. The vision of the DPJCC continues with the opening of the new premier Giborim Adult Program in the fall of 2021.
- Independent Living Skills: The development of skills for daily living will be fostered and encouraged. Individuals will participate in a variety of skills such as laundry, meal planning, budgeting, grocery shopping, household chores, and personal safety.
- Work-Based Learning: Work-Based Learning will focus on individual strengths, interests, and skills to explore a variety of employment options. It will combine training and interpersonal skills with the goal to gain practical work experience that may lead to an independent job, supported employment or a volunteer position.
- Social-Recreational Learning: Friendship is the most significant factor contributing to a positive life experience with a sense of belonging. Our staff and participants will support each other to foster positive relationships within a supervised and active environment on and off campus. The participation in social and recreational activities promotes inclusion, health and fitness, and enhances overall well-being.
- Community Partners: The G.A.P. program will collaborate with local community partners such as colleges and universities, non-profit organizations and local businesses. We will work together to plan, set goals, and create an ongoing beneficial relationship for the community and the participants. Community support is crucial and must be created, shared, and celebrated by all.d chores, and personal safety
• Dates of G.A.P Program: August 23, 2021 – June 9, 2022
• G.A.P. has an annual tuition of $25,000.
• Non-refundable G.A.P. registration fee of $250 is required and must be paid online at dpjcc.org/gap
• Billing: We bill you in 10 convenient monthly payments on the 10th of every month beginning August 10, 2021 and ending May 10, 2022.
• Complimentary DPJCC Family Membership is included in your tuition.
• A 3% discount will be given if tuition is paid in full by Friday, August 2, 2021.
• Financial assistance is available. Please email Lisa Lundy at LLundy@dpjcc.org or call 954-434-0499 ext. 202.
o Financial assistance applications are due by July 12, 2021 and the online G.A.P. registration form with the $250 registration fee must be completed first.
o The G.A.P. registration fee will be refunded only if financial assistance does not meet the needs of the family.
• Early Care is available for an annual additional fee of $1500, which we will add to the monthly billing on the 10th of the month (August-May).
o Minimum of three (3) participants required.
• Withdrawal from the G.A.P. program requires a 30 day written notice.
• Registration for GibConnect in-person or virtual classes is available for an additional fee(s).